A delicious protein packed, vegetarian dish of eggs, tomatoes, and spices popular across the Middle East and North Africa. Enjoy at breakfast, lunch or dinner.
½ red onion
2 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 capsicum, diced
½ bunch parsley
420g tin diced tomatoes
1 cup baby spinach leaves
200g low fat fetta cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. To prepare the ingredients, finely slice the red onion. Peel and crush the garlic. Cut the red capsicum into 2 cm pieces. Finely chop the parsley, wash the baby spinach, and crumble the fetta cheese.
2. In a medium ovenproof pan add the olive oil and heat over a medium-high heat. Add the red onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, smoked paprika and red capsicum, then cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the diced tomatoes, ¼ cup hot water and half the parsley and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir through the baby spinach and cook for a further 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat. Tip: If you don’t have an ovenproof frying pan, transfer the mixture to a large baking dish.
3. With a spoon make a little well in the sauce and crack one of the eggs into the well, repeat until you have added all of the eggs. Tip: Crack each egg into a mug or small bowl individually and then gently pour into the sauce, this ensures any shells or bad eggs are kept separate from the sauce.
4. Sprinkle the fetta cheese over the top and place into the oven for 15 minutes, or until the egg whites have set
5. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve with the crusty bread
Recipe adapted from Hello FreshBACK