- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, halved thinly sliced
- 2 red capsicums, thinly sliced
- 2 x 400g cans Italian diced tomatoes with garlic and basil
- 1 cup salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 2 tbs finely chopped chives (optional)
- Pita pocket bread, warmed to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and capsicum and cook, stirring, for 4-6 minutes until onion is soft.
- Add tomatoes, stock and 1½ cups of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then blend or process until smooth (see tip). Re-heat over medium-low heat if required.
- Pour soup into warmed bowls, sprinkle with chopped chives and freshly ground black pepper. Serve with warm pita pocket bread.
Recipe courtesy of The Heart Foundation Website